Monday, December 1, 2008

Listen to the Teacher

I first taught a Yin yoga class a few months ago subbing for a fellow teacher. I have been regularly attending Yin classes for about two years and took a couple workshops on the subject. I was elated for the opportunity and thoroughly enjoy teaching the class.

An injury has led me to experiment with different styles of yoga. At one particularly good yoga class during my teacher training I went so deep into a forward fold that I compressed the sciatic nerves. I know many people who have had injuries due to yoga and many of them are teachers. The injury has been a great learning tool for me to create appropriate practices for myself and for those who come to my classes.

It turned out that I needed to strengthen the muscles around the injured area so that I don't over stretch them. Yin yoga did not fix my injury but the awareness I cultivate during a Yin practice allow me to move safely through a practice whether it is Yin, Vinyasa, Iyengar or any other type of yoga asana. Not too long ago I used to get bored holding postures for a long period of time. But I've come to appreciate valuable insights obtained through a quiet, conscious practice and eager to share them with the students.

Many people come to yoga to fix their physical discomforts and injuries. I can distinguish a new student from an experienced one by just looking at their foot position. This is because a new student's mind is engaged more to the upper body which is where most of us orient ourselves in everyday activities. Yoga gives us the opportunity to orient ourselves in all directions and extremities. Your mind and senses have to be engaged with what is going on in your muscles, tissues and organs. Certain postures focus more on certain areas of the body. With practice your intelligence expresses, unifies and aligns your whole bodily system.

This innate intelligence has always been there for you. Your body is constantly communicating to you whether it is whispering about your tight hips or screaming about your injured shoulder. Each of you is unique and has unique experience in any given yoga class. So, please listen to what your teacher has to share but listen even more closely to you-- your ultimate teacher.

No comments: