Friday, April 10, 2009

Clinging (love) vs. LOVE

To cling is to desire a different past and a certain outcome for the future.

I had a conversation with a dear friend of mine a few days back. We discussed how one could let go of clinging or desires. I know I have to be present. It is missing when I dwell in the past and the future. But how? How can I experience ease and joy of the present moment when I can't pull away from my desire for the past and future?

Here is what she told me. Instead of reasoning my way out of it, I need to experience my clinging and desire fully. The past and the future is only in my head - in thoughts. So, explore it all the way using thoughts and visualization. Take "thinking it through" to another level. Watch the whole story unfolds. Go with it from the beginning to the end. Don't stop yourself. Don't tell yourself these are trouble thoughts. Allow yourself to experience the thoughts fully.

And so, I did. I have been talking in my yoga classes about being open to experience all the emotions whether you label them positive or negative. Because once you experience them fully you then have no need for them anymore and you can truly move on. They may come back again but you are more comfortable in your body and mind while experiencing them.I am now using this knowledge to skillfully work with clinging as well.

After just one session I felt spaciousness enveloped me. It was like I broke a spell. Instead of thinking about my object of desire (which can be a situation, person or object) I began to see the world around me. People who I have not thought much about because I was so focus on my desired object began to surface in my thoughts. And so are all the precious gifts I have which support my life. I felt a sense of ease and gratitude for everything that I have and everyone that I know. I felt a sense of connectedness. I felt LOVE.

The most effective way to get out of your head is to get in it. Observe everything that comes to pass. Afterward you may get the result I got. "Do I REALLY want that?" was my response to the outcome of what I have observed. It's no fun being stuck in the ego. You reduce your chance of joy by achieving the one object of your desire. That's extremely limited considering what you have out there. Get out of your head, let go of the small love and feel the LOVE.

No comments: